Open every weekend from Easter to Christmas. Opening Times: Saturdays 11am to 1pm and 2pm to 4.30pm; Sundays 2pm to 4.30pm
Dollar Town Council (1891 – 1975)
by Janet Carolan, Curator Dollar Museum
The first Town Council meeting took place in the St James Hall or Athenaeum (part of the former Strathallan Hotel) on 16th March 1891.
James B. Henderson was elected Chief Magistrate. In 1893, a change in the law allowed him to adopt the ancient title of Provost.
Until local government reorganisation in 1975, Dollar ran its own affairs efficiently and cheaply, although not without occasional controversy. All the Provosts are shown below. The most famous, Lavinia Malcolm, was both the first Lady Provost and first lady town councillor in Scotland.

1891-1893
Provost J. Henderson

1893-1896
Provost D. Westwood

1896 – 1899
Provost R. Malcolm

1899 – 1902
Provost J. Drysdale

1902 -1908
Provost M. Fischer

1908 -1913 and 1919 – 1925
Provost J. B. Green

1913 -1919
Provost L. Malcolm

1925 -1931
Provost S. F. Butchart

1931 -1937
Provost C. Allsopp

1937 -1939
Provost R. Waddell

1939 -1943
Provost J. Scott

1943 -1946
Provost P. Walton

1946 -1950
Provost A. M. Cowan

1950 -1953
Provost J. C. Shaw

1953 -1956
Provost J. Hewitt

1956 -1962
Provost J. Muckersie

1962 -1965
Provost J. M. Miller

1965 -1968
Provost H. Moss

1968 -1971
Provost W. Y. Galloway
